The Wollondilly Heritage CentreLast updated Friday, 26 Nov 2010.
The Oaks Historical Society was formed in 1979 to research the history of The Oaks, Oakdale and the Burragorang Valley. A successful application to the NSW Bicentennial Committee resulted in funds to build a museum on one acre of land donated by Wollondilly Shire Council. The Wollondilly Heritage Centre was the result and was opened in May 1988 by MP Hon. John Fahey with displays about local agriculture, pioneer families and local industries in 3 display buildings. Subsequent research projects have resulted in extended display areas and more interactive and innovative exhibitions documenting working life and social history, which have included partnerships with state institutions and local cultural communities.
Burragorang Cottage was rebuilt by volunteers and furnished with items from domestic life. The cottage display teaches primary school students in a 'Hands-on-History' program how simple tasks like cooking and washing were achieved before electricity. Grants have been received and sponsorship sought to add buildings and exhibitions.
Resident organisations at The Wollondilly Heritage Centre: The Oaks Historical Society Inc
Category: Gallery/Museum (voluntary management)
Phone: 02 4657 1796
43 Edward Street
The Oaks, NSW 2571
Other facilities in The Oaks
Local Government Area: Wollondilly Shire Council
- accessible toilets
- a continuous accessible path of travel within the building to all public spaces, services and facilities
- a set down area at the facility entrance with a kerb ramp to allow access from the road to the entrance
- a wider parking space(s) designated for accessible parking
- handrails fitted to stairs and ramps
- the capacity for people in wheelchairs to sit with their companions in auditoriums or other fixed seating areas
Dedicated parking: The Wollondilly Heritage Centre has dedicated parking (spaces: 60).
Disabled access: yes
- Inhouse catering for functions
School visitors: 45.0
Hiring a facility
If you would like to enquire about any of our facilities, contact us: