Grafton Regional GalleryLast updated Tuesday, 14 Dec 2010.
Prentice House was commissioned by surgeon Dr James Houison as a residence and surgery. In 1985 the Grafton City Council, with assistance from the Jacaranda Art Society, purchased Prentice House. This federation style residence, designed and built in 1880 by the well known Grafton builder Alexander Fairweather, is one of Grafton’s most beautiful and prestigious structures.
The plan of the house was typical of its day, in that an anteroom and consulting room were located at the front, a drawing and a dining room to one side separated by folding doors, bedrooms to the other side separated by a central hallway and the kitchen, and a servant’s room and pantry were located at the rear. The upper floor contained a lobby, small bedroom and a boudoir opening onto a balcony looking out on Fitzroy Street. The design of the house is unusual with its central walls thrusting upwards, intersecting the roof, and creating the narrow first floor.
The Grafton Regional Gallery in Prentice House was officially opened in March 1988 with a gallery space, storeroom, library, meeting room, offices and volunteer and staff room, all administered by the Grafton City Council.
Stage II built in 1991 saw the addition of the Second Gallery, a Collection Room at the rear of the building and the Courtyard Café leasing the kitchen and courtyard area for day trading. Extensive additions of Stage III were completed in September 1999. The Second Gallery was converted into the Collection Room and the Main Gallery, the Loft Gallery, the Studio Space and new office spaces were centred around the courtyard. This significant refurbishment to the Gallery and its programs enabled the Gallery to offer a greater range of services. Georgie’s at the Gallery leased the café and restaurant area offering day and night trading. The Gallery Foundation was established in March 2005 with Mrs Kay Alden the inaugural Chair. The Foundation is actively fundraising to support the further development of the Gallery’s collection and infrastructure.
Category: Gallery/Museum (paid staff)
Phone: 02 6642 3177
158 Fitzroy Street
Grafton, NSW 2460
Other facilities in Grafton
Local Government Area: Clarence Valley Council
- accessible toilets
- a continuous accessible path of travel within the building to all public spaces, services and facilities
- a wider parking space(s) designated for accessible parking
- handrails fitted to stairs and ramps
Dedicated parking: Grafton Regional Gallery has dedicated parking.
- Dedicated cafe/restaurant (separate from the foyer)
Collection items: Between 1000 - 5000 items
Hiring a facility
If you would like to enquire about any of our facilities, contact us:
- Phone: 02 6642 3177
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: http://www.graftongallery.nsw.gov.au/cmst/gg001/nova.asp